The history of Grange Fire Station dates back to 1902 when a group of businessmen banded together to form a local fire brigade. The firemen were not paid or indeed had any uniform, but gave up their own time to attend to the few fires that Grange had around this time. This changed in 1904, when the town council provided a horse drawn, steam fire engine, together with new equipment and uniform for the Firemen. Although the equipment has become far more technical, today the station is still crewed by sixteen retained firefighters who give up their own time and jobs to attend the 100 or so calls that Grange attend every year.
There are two Volvo fire engines on the station carrying a wide range of equipment to deal with everything from fires, water rescues and road traffic collisions.
As Grange is a coastal town on the estuary, over the years the station has attended numerous rescues of people and also animals that have become stuck in the quicksand. The main A590 trunk road runs through the station area and as this is one of the most notorious roads in the county for road traffic collisions this is a significant part of the firefighters duty today.
The station has a very active community safety team and has regularly raised funds for local charities and the Fire Service National Benevolent Fund with open days, gala days as well as supporting the local carnivals. The station is involved in the delivery of Home Safety Checks and fitting domestic smoke detectors in houses throughout the station area. Close links with Cartmel Priory Secondary School have been established with the delivery of Road Awareness training as well as general fire safety information, and the firefighters also deliver Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 safety education to several junior schools in the area.