Fire service urges New Year firework safety
CUMBRIA Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to use fireworks safely this New Year to help keep people and property safe.
Setting off fireworks can be popular on New Year’s Eve, says CFRS, but they need to be used responsibly to ensure everyone’s safety.
Andrew Lowes, Station Manager for Prevention, said: “We urge people to be cautious if they are thinking about using fireworks at home to help bring in the New Year.
“Take time to plan and make sure you are confident and comfortable with handling fireworks and that you have the appropriate space in your garden to set them off.”
Cumbria’s Deputy Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, Mike Johnson, said: “Fireworks are meant to be enjoyed but they do need our respect.
“It’s essential that anyone that buys and sets off fireworks does so safely and responsibly.
“Please heed the advice of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service and ring in 2024 safely.”
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service has provided the following advice for anyone considering using fireworks:
- Only adults should deal with setting up firework displays, the lighting of fireworks and the safe disposal of fireworks once they have been used.
- Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable, and ensure all displays end by the 1am curfew on New Year’s Eve night
- Only buy fireworks which carry the CE or UKCA marks, keep them in a closed box, and use them one at a time.
- Read and follow the instructions on each individual firework.
- Light the firework at arm's length with a taper and stand well back once lit.
- Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks.
- Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
- Don't put fireworks in pockets and never throw them.
- Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators.
- Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire.
- Make sure that the fire is out, and surroundings are made safe before leaving.
- Always follow The Firework Code: https://www.britishfireworksassociation.co.uk/firework-advice-for-consumers/