Join our team
If you are seeking a new challenge, then take a look at the opportunities we can offer. As a Service we strive every day to make Cumbria a safer place for all, and that takes a passionate workforce.
Working for Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service
As a stand-alone service since April 2023, Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service now has a unique, once-in-a-generation opportunity to shape public services for the better - building on the best and transforming services for the future.
Our opportunities can range from operational firefighters through to vital support staff - and we look forward to hearing from you.
See a list of current vacancies.
An inclusive and supportive employer
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service strives to be an inclusive and supportive employer.
We take the following measures, both during the application/selection process and during an employee's time with the service.
- We adopt a Guaranteed Interview Scheme for candidates who consider themselves disabled (and meet essential requirements of the role)
- We deploy anonymised shortlisting where possible
- We offer reasonable adjustments at interview; candidates can confidentially discuss issues with our team aroud what support they would require
- We have an Employee Passport; this employee-owned document is optional to complete, but can support employees when having discussions on what support they need and can be with them through moves in the organisation
- We offer Disability Leave – up to 10 days per rolling 12 months
- We offer access to counselling
- We offer ICT products, such as Dragon software, to assist dyslexic employees
- We have a Wellness Action Plan, which can support with mental health disorders, such as PTSD
- We offer reasonable adjustments and workplace adjustments for all roles
- We work alongside Access to Work, an organisation that can support with any equipment or supportive resources at work
- We offer management training on wellbeing and implementing workplace adjustments effectively and in collaboration with the employee
We are also continually working to improve however, and actively engage with our workforce and listen to their suggestions to move forward.
Veterans Guaranteed Interview Scheme
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service recognises it has a role to play in helping those leaving the Armed Forces fulfil their potential in civilian life. Veterans can find making the transition to civilian life extremely challenging, particularly in finding and securing lasting employment.
To support this, the we have introduced a Veterans Guaranteed Interview Scheme. This commitment is to guarantee an interview for any veterans that meet the essential criteria for the role and the Armed Forces was their last long-term employer for roles (where external recruitment is required only).
The scheme is not a guaranteed job for Veterans, as selection procedures will ensure the best candidate for the job is appointed, based on the objective criteria of the role profile.